Monday, September 8, 2014

Ethan's baby quilt

My most "dude" baby quilt to date.

Backed in part of an Ikea duvet.

Sunday, August 3, 2014

Monday, February 24, 2014

HST confetti.

When your machine is in for service, you get around to trimming the 9865 half-square triangles you sewed at a retreat 11 MONTHS ago.   

Better late than never!   The trash certainly makes the project  look promising.

Thursday, February 6, 2014

Olivia's baby quilt

I made this flying geese quilt improv-style for the MQG Riley Blake challenge.   

Olivia's mom is a colleague.  Olivia is obviously the Gisele Bundchen of baby quilt models.

The challenge fabric colors were not my scene, so I bleached the fabric.   The blues dimmed and suddenly it was all sherbet-y goodness.

The colors called to mind a print I've been hoarding, which I used as the backing.   I drew my solids from this inspiration.

I did a free motion leaf pattern all over, and bound with a grey-and-white stripe.

I didn't have high hopes for this challenge, but was in love by the time I finished.

Couldn't have gone to a cuter recipient!

Friday, January 17, 2014

Shira's tree of life

I made this tree of life quilt for my eldest niece's bat mitzvah, way back in June.   I clearly was inspired by some recent Sarah Fielke book purchases I'd made,  but was glad to be able to use many of my favorite, treasured scraps.  

That may have been the last of my Joel Dewberry upholstery wood grain!

My friend Linda helped me out with some insane free motion, as I was working around the clock and wasn't going to be able to finish.  It looked especially amazing on the linen sections.

I am now fully addicted to flying geese.

Shira reports it is in full rotation on her bed! 

My blog resolution this year: more photos, less words.   These photos are awful, so less fuzzy shots will be goal #2.

What can I say?   I'm usually just so thrilled to be done that I can't be bothered with the hassle of setting up for artful shots!

My favorite Momo dots on the binding and half an Ikea queen duvet on the back.

I think this will make the posts more frequent?

Tuesday, February 26, 2013


I really do feel a perverse sense of accomplishment and satisfaction at cleaning this much crap out of my machine, after a big project wraps.

Saturday, February 23, 2013


Our guild was one of the many that participated in the MQG Madrona Road challenge.

Challenge participants were given a handful of pieces of the Violet Craft "Madrona Road" fabric line and asked to complete a project, preferably a quilt, using only additional solids.

I found this challenge difficult, primarily because some of the colors in the line aren't favorites of mine, particularly the mustardy yellow and tan.  In addition, I was sad we didn't receive any of the small-scale florals, which were my favorite from this collection.

I borrowed the concept for the quilt and the quilting from this insanely good quilt

I didn't want to buy additional fabric, so I plumbed the depths of my stash and wound up pulling a series of polyester and wool apparel suiting remnants, silk remnants, and other solids.  I prewashed to make sure I wouldn't have weird shrinkage.  The quilt is backed with the lowest thread-count sheet I could find at Target, and bound with a black-on-black dot I bought because I'd run out of stashed fabric. 

Clearly my quilting, done on my genius friend Linda's longarm, is not as precisely done as the inspiration, but I think it turned out pretty well.  The solid bars were supposed to have been inset with circles, but precise circles are HARD on the long arm, so mine are more freeform-y and blobular.   I am describing them to my friends as "mod marshmallows" in the hope their lumpiness will seem intentional.