Monday, July 23, 2012

Converging corners

So, this one was finished a while ago, but I'd failed to post details.

Obviously, I got the idea for this from the Film in the Fridge Converging Corners quilt.  I just loved everything about that quilt, and thought it would be a great way to use scraps to make a vibrant baby quilt for a woman I work with. 

The baby's gender was unknown so I did my best to remain true to the primary colors used in the inspiration.     This was a bit of a stretch from me, as I hardly ever use red.  I love how the red perks up this quilt - I think I may be sprinkling more of this around, going forward.    It's a real personal growth moment for me!  ;)

There's a lot of Denyse Schmidt fabric in here, including on the binding.  I also used a lot of my repro scraps, many of which are very geometric (ie, less flower power) when you look closely.

This came together very quickly.  I backed it with strip of patchworked leftovers from the front, run alongside an awesome yellow-on-green dot I got at Marden's for $3/yard.   This dot was I previously used to back Lela's baby quilt.  In hindsight, I should have gotten more of this yardage.

Things have been crazy here, preparing for our Boston Modern Quilt Guild exhibit at the Lowell Quilt Festival in mid-August.    Lots of sleeves are being sewn, more to come on this soon...