Thursday, February 6, 2014

Olivia's baby quilt

I made this flying geese quilt improv-style for the MQG Riley Blake challenge.   

Olivia's mom is a colleague.  Olivia is obviously the Gisele Bundchen of baby quilt models.

The challenge fabric colors were not my scene, so I bleached the fabric.   The blues dimmed and suddenly it was all sherbet-y goodness.

The colors called to mind a print I've been hoarding, which I used as the backing.   I drew my solids from this inspiration.

I did a free motion leaf pattern all over, and bound with a grey-and-white stripe.

I didn't have high hopes for this challenge, but was in love by the time I finished.

Couldn't have gone to a cuter recipient!


  1. Rebecca, this is beautiful! Your work is always so inspiring, and now I'm sitting here 3k miles away missing our old NEMQG days! :( I hope you're doing well!

  2. Obviously Olivia loves your quilt... just like the rest of this;-) I can't believe how beautifully this turned out... inspired idea to bleach those fabrics and who can believe this was the result. Fabulous!!!

  3. I love how you manipulated the fabrics. The quilt turned out awesome!

  4. This turned out really great! And to get such a cute model for a photo shoot... :D

  5. The bleaching did improve the colors! Smart move and very cute model!

  6. Totally beautiful and unbelievable - I would have been hard pressed to recognize it as a challenge quilt!!

  7. This is amazing transformation! Beautiful pattern and quilt!
    Can't beat the adorable baby model Olivia! Just perfect!

  8. She is SO cute, and that quilt is gorgeous!